- 4 x skinless chicken breast fillets
- 2 tsp Szechuan pepper, ground
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- finely grated zest of 1 lime
- sea salt flakes and freshly-milled black pepper
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 oranges
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 Tbsp brandy
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 2 cups finely-shredded green cabbage
- coriander leaves, fried shallots and sliced chilli, to garnish
1 Combine the chicken, Szechuan pepper, cumin and lime zest, then season with salt. Cook in a medium frying pan over a moderate heat with 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil for 10 minutes, until firm. Meanwhile, sauté the cabbage in the remaining oil in a second pan, then season with salt and pepper.
2 Peel, segment and dice the oranges, then squeeze the juice form the centres into a small saucepan. Add the stock and brandy, then boil for 5 minutes, until reduce by half. Dissolve the cornflour in 2 Tbsp water. Whisk in, then simmer to thicken. Fold in the diced orange.
3 Carve the chicken and serve on cabbage with the sauce, then garnish with coriander, shallots and chilli.