- 4 slices white bread, crusts removed
- 600g English spinach leaves, stems removed
- 400g beef mince
- 400g pork mince
- 150g mortadella, finely diced
- 1 cup pecorino, finely grated
- ¼ bunch rosemary, chopped
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 brown onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- salt flakes and freshly-milled black pepper
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, peeled
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 250ml beef stock
- 150ml dry white wine
1 Preheat oven to 210°C. Place the bread in a food processor and pulse until fine crumbs form. Blanch the spinach leaves in boiling water until just wilted, then refresh in iced water. Squeeze out the excess moisture, chop finely, then set aside.
2 Combine the breadcrumbs with the minces, mortadella, cheese, rosemary, nutmeg, beaten eggs, onion and garlic in a large bowl, and mix well. Season with salt and pepper.
3 Spread half the mixture on a lined oven tray in a 10cm x 20cm rectangle. Top with half the spinach and arrange the boiled eggs on top. Place the remaining spinach on the eggs and the remaining mince mixture on top. Form into a domed log shape.
4 Brush the log with oil and bake for 15 minutes. Pour the stock and wine over and continue baking for another 30 minutes, basting often. Cool, then slice and serve.