- 150g rindless bacon
- 750g pork mince
- ½ cup roasted red capsicums, finely chopped
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup finely grated Parmesan
- 100g pine nuts, toasted and chopped
- 2 tsp dried Italian herbs
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- sea salt flakes and ground black pepper
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 brown onions, very finely diced
- 600ml best-quality tomato passata
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 400g spaghetti
- grated Parmesan, oregano, and lemon wedges, to serve
1 Place the bacon in a food processor and pulse until a fine crumb forms, then combine with the mince, capsicums, breadcrumbs, eggs, grated Parmesan, pine nuts, Italian herbs and half the garlic in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper, then mix well.
2 Form into walnut-sized pieces, then set aside. Heat half the olive oil in a saucepan, then fry the onions and remaining garlic for 5 minutes, until softened. Add the passata and chilli, then simmer briefly. Meanwhile, fry the meatballs in the remaining olive oil until browned, then pour the sauce over the top and simmer gently.
3 Cook the spaghetti according to manufacturer’s instructions, until al dente, then drain well and toss through the sauce. Top with Parmesan, oregano and lemon wedges.