- 1kg Butternut pumpkin, peeled
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt flakes and freshly-milled black pepper
- 2 white onions, finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1L chicken or vegetable stock
- sour cream, dill and pumpkinseed oil, to serve
1 Preheat oven to 180°C. Chop the pumpkin and toss in olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast for 40 minutes, until soft and lightly-browned.
2 Sauté the onions, garlic and bay leaves in butter for 5 minutes, until golden, then add the pumpkin and stock. Add water (if needed) to cover. Simmer for 45 minutes, then purée and season with salt and pepper Serve with sour cream, dill and pumpkinseed oil.
PROFESSIONAL Tip: Pumpkinseed oil is available from good delis, and from many health food stores.