- 2 brown onions, finely diced
- 1 stick celery, finely diced
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 500g pork mince
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp ground sage
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups beef stock
- sea salt flakes and freshly-milled black pepper
- 300g penne pasta
- 1½ cups finely-grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp thyme leaves
1 Sauté the onions, celery and garlic in half the oil in a large saucepan over a moderate heat for 5 minutes, until softened. Set aside. Heat the remaining oil, then fry the pork mince for 5 minutes, until browned, then mix in the tomato paste and sage and cook for 2 minutes.
2 Stir in the diced tomatoes and stock, return the onion mixture, then simmer for 30 minutes, until tender. Season with salt and pepper.
3 Stir in the penne, then cook gently for 15 minutes, until the pasta is al dente, then stir in the Parmesan and thyme.