- 400g can chickpeas, drained
- 1 egg
- ½ red onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp curry powder
- 400g can lentils, drained and rinsed
- ½ bunch mint, chopped
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- salt flakes and freshly-milled black pepper
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, peeled, seeded and coarsely grated
- ¼ cup yoghurt
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 seed rolls, toasted
- red oak leaf lettuce, beetroot slices, alfalfa sprouts and avocado slices, to serve
1 Combine the chickpeas and egg in the bowl of a food processor and purée until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the onion, half the garlic, curry powder, lentils, breadcrumbs and mint (reserving 2 Tbsp). Mix well, season with salt and pepper, then form into patties and set aside for 5 minutes.
2 Season the cucumber well, then place in a sieve and set aside for 5 minutes to drain. Mix with the remaining garlic and mint and the yoghurt in a large bowl.
3 Fry the veggie patties in vegetable oil in a large frying pan over a moderate heat for 5 minutes each side, until crispy. Drain on kitchen paper.
4 Arrange avocado slices on the roll bases, then top with lettuce, beetroot, sprouts, a pattie and the yoghurt sauce.