- 1.8kg beef bolar blade
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup speck, finely diced
- 2 brown onions, finely sliced
- 8 cloves minced garlic
- 1 bunch thyme, finely chopped
- 750ml Dolcetto red wine
- ½ cup pearl barley
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 bunch parsley, finely chopped
- 4 cups baby kale leaves
- 100g goats’ cheese
1 Season the beef generously with salt and pepper. Heat the olive oil in a heavy-based saucepan set over a high heat, then beef and brown on all sides. Set aside. Mix in the speck, onions, garlic and thyme, and cook until the onions are softened.
2 Pour in the wine, boil rapidly, then return the beef, fit the lid and simmer on low heat for 3 hours, until tender.
3 Meanwhile, combine the barley and beef stock in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer. Fit the lid, turn to low, then cook gently for 40 minutes, until the liquid is absorbed. Fold in the parsley, kale and goats’ cheese.