- 4 x 200g rump steaks
- sea salt flakes and freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp fine salt
- 8 large potatoes, cut into thick chips
- vegetable oil, for deep frying
- 1 bunch parsley leaves
- 1 bunch oregano leaves
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- finely-grated zest and juice of 2 lemons
- 2 heads fennel, finely sliced
- 2 oranges, segmented
- 1 bunch chives, finely sliced
- ¼ cup Brazil nuts, chopped
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
1 Season the steaks with salt and pepper, then rub with 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil and set aside. Dissolve the salt in 1 cup boiling water, then add 1½L tepid water. Add the potatoes and soak for 30 minutes. Rinse well, then pat dry. Fry in hot (180°C) vegetable oil for 10 minutes, then drain well. Fry again for 4 minutes, until crisp.
2 Combine the parsley, oregano, garlic, zest, lemon juice and remaining oil in a food processor and pulse until a coarse paste forms. Toss the fennel, oranges, chives and Brazil nuts.
3 Grill the steaks for 3 minutes each side, until medium-rare, then rest briefly. Serve with the salad, chips and sauce.