- 800g skinless ocean trout fillet, all bones removed
- sea salt flakes and freshly-milled black pepper
- ¼ cup pomegranate molasses
- 8cm piece ginger
- 4 limes
- ½ cup vermouth
- 1 tsp bitters
- 4 Kaffir lime leaves, very finely sliced
- 1 long red chilli, finely diced
- 1 stick lemongrass, very finely sliced
- 2 Tbsp fried shallots
- ½ bunch coriander leaves
- ½ bunch Thai basil leaves
- 1 cup Savoy cabbage, very finely sliced
- 1 cup red cabbage, very finely sliced
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp avocado oil
- 1 tsp golden caster sugar
1 Preheat oven to 200°C. Season the ocean trout with salt and pepper and arrange on a lined oven tray. Pour the pomegranate molasses into a small saucepan. Finely grate half the ginger and squeeze half the limes, then add to the saucepan with the vermouth and bitters Set over a moderate heat and simmer until thickened.
2 Bake the trout for 10 minutes, then baste with the pomegranate mixture. Bake for 5 minutes, then baste again. Bake for a further 5 minutes, bake for a final 5 minutes.
3 Cut the remaining ginger into fine batons and segment the remaining lines. Toss with the lime leaves, chilli, lemongrass, shallots and herbs. Scatter over the fish.
4 Toss the cabbage with the vinegar, oil and sugar, then season generously with salt and pepper.