- 1 Tbsp ground turmeric
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- salt flakes and freshly-milled black pepper
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- size 18 chicken, chopped into eight pieces
- 1 brown onion, finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 cardamom pods
- 1 cup Basmati rice
- 1¾ cups chicken stock
- ½ bunch parsley, finely chopped
- ¼ bunch mint leaves, finely chopped
- ½ cup currants
- ½ cup flaked almonds, toasted
1 Combine the turmeric, cinnamon, allspice and cloves in a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Mix in half the oil, then rub onto the chicken. Arrange on a moderate barbecue grill and cook for 35 minutes, turning often, until just cooked.
2 Set a large saucepan over a moderate heat and sauté the onion, garlic and cardamom in the remaining olive oil for 5 minutes until just softened. Add the rice and fry for 2 minutes, until translucent.
3 Pour in the stock and simmer until all the liquid is absorbed. Mix in the parsley, mint, currants and almonds. Serve with the pilaf.