Sweet potato crab cakes
These are a great little pre-dinner snack. Light but tasty, they won't get in the way of your masterpiece.
- 500g sweet potato peeled and diced
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 200g crab meat
- 1 Tbsp fish sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ bunch dill, finely chopped
- 1 ½ cups wholegrain breadcrumbs
- salt flakes and freshly-milled black pepper
- ¼ cup plain flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- ½ cup roasted capsicums
- 2 tsp capers
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 watercress sprigs
- 1 small beetroot, peeled and cut into fine batons
1 Steam the diced sweet potato over a saucepan of simmering water for 10 minutes, until tender, then crush with a fork. Mix with the olive oil, crab meat, fish sauce, garlic, dill and ½ cup breadcrumbs, then season with salt and pepper and form into four puck shapes. Refrigerate until firm.
2 Dust the crab cakes with flour, dip in beaten egg, then coat with the remaining breadcrumbs. Fry in hot (180°C) vegetable oil for 5 minutes until deep-golden, then drain on kitchen paper.
3 Meanwhile, combine the capsicums, capers and mayonnaise in a blender and purée until smooth. Spoon onto plates, then top with a crab cake and a mixture of watercress and beetroot.