Steamed snapper with asparagus and ginger
When buying ginger, choose plump, smooth-skinned pieces whose ends have not yet withered, because the flavour of ginger declines markedly as it ages and desiccates.
- 4 x 170g snapper fillets
- 8 shiitake mushrooms, sliced finely
- 8cm piece ginger, cut into fine batons
- 1 Tbsp peanut oil
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 2 bunch asparagus, trimmed
- 2 eschalots, sliced very finely
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced very finely
- 1 Tbsp dried nori seaweed, sliced finely
- salt and pepper
- ½ bunch Thai basil leaves
1 Arrange the snapper fillets in a steam basket set over a saucepan of simmering water and cook for 5 minutes, until just firm.
2 Fry the mushrooms and ginger in peanut and sesame oils for 2 minutes, until just-softened in a wok set over a high heat. Pour in the chicken stock and boil briefly, then set aside.
3 Steam the asparagus and fold in with the eschalots, garlic, and nori. Season with salt and pepper, then add the basil. Serve the fish on top.