Snapper and vegetable stew
It's kind of like an old American hotpot, but with a stewier consistency thanks to the starchy sweet potato. Add some bread...and dinner is served.
- 1 brown onion, finely sliced
- 2 sticks celery, finely sliced
- ¼ cup green olives, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 tsp capers
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups kumera, diced
- 1 Tbsp plain flour
- 1L fish stock
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- salt flakes and freshly-milled black pepper
- 750g snapper fillet, diced
- crusty bread, chilli flakes, chopped parsley, sour cream and lemon wedges, to serve
1 Sauté the onion, celery, olives, garlic, capers and bay leaves in a large saucepan in the olive oil for 5 minutes until softened. Add the kumera and cook for a further 5 minutes.
2 Sprinkle with the flour and cook until the mixture begins to stick to the bottom of the saucepan, then pour in the stock and tomatoes. Simmer for 15 minutes, then season with salt and pepper.
3 Mix in the snapper, simmer for 5 minutes until the fish is just firm, then serve with crusty bread, chilli, parsley, sour cream and lemon wedges.