Seared tuna with shichimi and exotic mushrooms
A little bit of a spicy kick is just the thing to transform your tuna into something wonderful.
- 2 x 170g tuna steaks
- salt flakes and freshly-milled black pepper
- 2 Tbsp shichimi togarashi*
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 punnet shimeji mushrooms, trimmed
- 1 punnet shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 punnet enoki mushrooms, trimmed
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- ½ tsp brown sugar
- 2 eschalots, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 radishes, finely sliced
- 2 sprigs parsley, sliced
1 Season the fish with salt and pepper, then coat with the seed mixture. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet and sear the tuna over a high heat for 1 minute each side, until medium rare. Set aside.
2 In the same skillet, fry the mushrooms in sesame oil for 3 minutes, until softened, then mix in the soy, sugar, eschalots, garlic, radish and parsley. Spoon onto plates and top with a piece of tuna.
Professional Tip: Shichimi togarashi is a Japanese spice mix available from all Asian grocers.