Rich tomato soup
I add a few special ingredients to my tomato soup, just to add to the delicious sweetness of lovely ripe tomatoes.
- 2 red onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 sprigs thyme, chopped
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 red capsicums, seeded and diced
- 12 ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 Tbsp sherry vinegar
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1L chicken stock
- salt flakes and freshly-milled black pepper
- chopped parsley, to serve
1 Sauté the onion, garlic, thyme and bay leaves in olive oil in a large saucepan over a moderate heat for 5 minutes, until softened. Ad the capsicums and cook for 5 more minutes.
2 Mix in the tomatoes, vinegar, sugar and stock, then simmer for 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, then purée and serve with chopped parsley.