Pork Carnitas with Apple Cider
Carnitas are a great entertaining food and easy to put together.
- 1.4 kg boneless rolled pork shoulder
- 2 Tbsp Cajun seasoning
- salt flakes and freshly-milled black pepper
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 300ml hard apple cider
- 1 brown onion, finely diced
- 3 sticks celery, finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 400g can black beans, drained
- white corn tortillas, salsa and guacamole, to serve
1 Preheat oven to 150°C. Pat the pork dry with kitchen paper. Rub the spices onto the surface then refrigerate overnight to marinate.
2 Season with salt and pepper, then drizzle with half the olive oil. Arrange in a roasting pan and bake for 5 hours, basting occasionally with cider until falling apart.
3 Sauté the onion, celery and garlic in the remaining oil in a saucepan over a moderate heat for 5 minutes, until softened, then add the juice, stock and beans. Simmer until the liquid has evaporated.
4 Shred the pork and serve with toasted tortillas, beans, guacamole and salsa.