- 2 cups kumera, finely diced
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 1 cup snow peas, finely sliced
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- 12 fresh curry leaves, chopped
- 200g chickpea flour (besan)
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- 2 tsp fine salt
- ¾ cup water
- vegetable oil, for deep frying
- ½ Lebanese cucumber, peeled, seeded and grated
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ bunch mint, chopped
- 300g yoghurt
- toasted coconut, to serve
1 Boil the kumera in a large saucepan of water for 3 minutes, until tender, then drain. Mix in a large bowl with the onion, snow peas, coconut and curry leaves. In a second bowl, whisk the chickpea flour, spices, salt and water to make a batter then fold this through the vegetables.
2 Place large spoonfuls of the mixture into hot (180°C) vegetable oil and fry for 4 minutes, until well-browned and crisp. Drain on kitchen paper.
3 Meanwhile, combine the cucumber, garlic, mint and yoghurt. Serve the fritters with the yoghurt sauce and toasted coconut.