Fruity and nutty with a little spice, frustingolo is an Italian delight.
- 250g dried figs
- 150g raisins
- 80g hazelnuts, chopped
- 80g walnuts, chopped
- 80g dark chocolate (70%), chopped
- 30g candied fruit*, diced finely
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 Tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 75ml extra virgin olive oil
- 75ml dark rum
- 2cm piece ginger, finely grated
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs
1 Preheat oven to 180°C. Combine the figs and raisins in a large bowl and cover with hot water. Stand for 2 hours, until softened, then drain and chop finely.
2 Mix in the remaining ingredients and press into a 22cm square cake tin. Bake for 40 minutes, until golden, then set aside to cool. Cover and refrigerate overnight, then cut into squares and serve.
* Cedro (candied citron) is available from leading food retailers. Otherwise used mixed peel.