- 2 large crayfish, live
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 stick lemongrass, finely chopped
- 2 lime leaves, finely sliced
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 Tbsp ginger, peeled and sliced
- 250g butter
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- Lime wedges
1 Preheat oven to 210°C.
2 Split the crayfish down its length with a sharp knife. This is instant and humane.
3 Scrape out the head shell using a teaspoon, then drizzle with olive oil.
4 Barbecue cut side down over a high heat for one minute, then transfer to a baking tray shell-down.
5 Pound the lemongrass, lime leaves, garlic and ginger in a mortar and pestle until smooth, then whip in the butter and soy.
6 Spoon onto the crayfish and bake for 10 minutes.
7 Serve with lime wedges.
PROFESSIONAL TIP: Always buy crayfish live or frozen, never chilled. Chilled crayfish have no guarantee of quality.