Braised Short Ribs in Sangiovese
Tender and succulent beef short ribs braised in South Australian Sangiovese wine makes the perfect winter meal.
- 1.2kg beef short ribs
- sea salt flakes and freshly-ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 brown onions, finely diced
- 1 stick celery, finely diced
- 12 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 500ml Sangiovese
- 500ml beef stock
- grilled vegetable salad, to serve
1 Season the ribs with salt and pepper, the rub with half the olive oil. Sear in a large saucepan over a moderate heat for 5 minutes, until well-browned. Set aside, then sauté the onion, celery, garlic and bay leaves in the remaining oil for 3 minutes.
2 pour in the wine and bring to a boil. Return the beef, add the stock, then cover and cook slowly for 3 hours, until the meat is tender. Serve with grilled vegetable salad.