Basic beef casserole
This beef casserole is simple and tasty, a great one for the kids too!
- 800g gravy beef, diced
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely diced
- 2 sticks celery, finely sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp dried Italian herbs
- 1L beef stock
- salt flakes and freshly-milled black pepper
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ cup plain flour
- rice, to serve
1 Sear the beef in half the olive oil over a moderate heat in batches until well-browned, then set aside. Sauté the onion, celery, carrots and garlic in the remaining oil, until softened, then return the beef.
2 Add the dried herbs and stock, then bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low and cook gently for 2 ½ hours with a lid on, until the meat is very tender. Top up with water as needed during cooking, and stir regularly. Season with salt and pepper.
3 Mix the butter and flour, then stir in 1 Tbsp at a time while simmering until the sauce is a good gravy consistency. Serve with rice.