- 2 rashers bacon, diced
- 1 white onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ bunch thyme, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 125g Arborio rice
- ½ cup sweet white wine
- 375ml hot chicken stock
- 1 cup frozen peas, blanched
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- salt flakes and freshly-milled black pepper
- ½ cup plain flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- vegetable oil, for frying
1 Sauté the bacon, onion, garlic and thyme in olive oil in a large saucepan over a moderate heat for 10 minutes, until lightly browned. Add the rice and cook briefly.
2 Pour in the wine and simmer until absorbed, then add the stock one ladle at a time, cooking until absorbed before adding the next ladle. Stir in the peas and parmesan, season with salt and pepper, then set aside to cool.
3 Form into walnut-sized balls then dust with flour. Dip in egg, then coat with breadcrumbs. Fry in hot (180°C) vegetable oil for 2 minutes, until golden and crisp. Drain on kitchen paper, then serve.